No visual work today… nothing new to show.
Instead, here is a small before/after comparison about yesterday!
Work in progress picture: now working on a complete set of textures for the ground. I’m defining areas of forest, grassy lowland, desert… for planets. But I’m quite sure that the main part of players won’t request to set up their own colony on a hostile designed zone. Who want a city mired in swamps? I need nice balanced landscapes… and I haven’t found this yet… 😉
This time, I’m sure. I’ve got my ultimate fractal compositor. So far, it was quite nice but, somehow, facing a feeling of repeatition while traveling accross the planet. Stereotypic fractal landscape… everywhere. Like crossing again and again the same mountain!?
[nerd mode: ON] I was listening to music… when I get a thought about disharmonic sounds. Obvious!!!
My fractal layers aren’t synchronized anymore, I’ve unleashed frequencies to create kind of resonant waves. Just like soundscapes… Disharmonic fractals… It may look snobbish (hope no), very nerdy (sorry), complex (not, actually), or maybe that’s a very common thing in the world of fractal-geek-mathematician-from-hell, I dunno at all, in fact I don’t care, but…
[nerd mode: OFF] …I’m sure, I’m in love with my new landscapes 😀
Boring 1/ worked on a new highres sky texture. It’s always pretty painful to make tileable clouds…
Boring 2/ locked myself 2 hours to track down my ribbon trails. Wasn’t neither an overlay problem, nor a z-depth issue… I’ve spent 2 hours checking out everything but the obvious one… a timing issue. Frames weren’t fired anymore… (Ogre::mRoot->_fireFrameEnded())… I shouldn’t rely on Ogre for this kind of stuff anyway. Blame for me.
Boring 3/ I’ve refined fractal terrain generation. I’ve got a lot of “almost cool” formulas, but not the perfect one yet. Damn!
You’ll agree how much trees are helpfull for considering the real size of such a scene.
Good news: I’ve flown accross 52 kilometers (up to this view actually) and no memory leak pointed out!
Bad news: I’m already consuming 700 Mb of memory. That’s a little expensive at this point, since future cities are going to be very greedy too. Nothing serious… but I have to plan a “code cleaning” day soon ^_^’
Flying 2500 meters high. This scene was originaly running at 36 FPS due to forest objects (4,687 batches, 1,804,008 faces). I added today static geometry and above all a basic impostors system to fake distant objects. 96% batches + 93% faces reduction. I’m now back to 174 FPS… that’s a nice day 😉
I still have some lags during creation of those huge static objects, but it should be solved by splitting this process accross a couple of frames. I’m almost done with this forest thing!!
I’m working right now on a small laptop for self restriction (and avoid the “hardcore gamer minimal specs” effect). But I still have a very impressive speed… too much speed. I was too mean, I guess.
I decided to update my paging system to double the distance view and display a 32 x 32 km scene. I can’t go beyond, or I’ll be stuck with z-depth precision while flying over the clouds.
I now have realtime fractals within something like 5 ms CPU time per frame. Better than in my dreams! I must confess I needed much more computations than I expected. Alas, I’m not the hero on this work. Nowadays CPU power are simply stunning!!!
Pleasant consequence: in this speed quest, I have gained a full set of time benchmark methods, lol.